Town of Sullivan's Island Building Department
2050-B Middle Street (In Town Hall)- behind Fire Station
In FY08-09 the Town established the Building Department, located at Town Hall and previously part of the Administration Department. This department handles all matters related to zoning and construction and the issuance of related licenses and permits, performs building related inspections and handles the Town’s code enforcement. The department consists of a full-time Building Inspector, part-time Zoning Administrator and one full-time clerk for billing and permitting.
Joe Henderson, Zoning Administrator
Phone: (843) 883-5731
Randy Robinson, CFM, Building Official
Phone: (843) 883-5732
Kat Kenyon, License and Permit Technician
Phone: (843) 883-5727
BUILDING CODES & CONSTRUCTION INFORMATION *
* The Town of Sullivan's Island follows the current building codes and revisions as adopted by the State of South Carolina. We strongly encourage you to check the current SC building codes for the most accurate standard.
Helpful Link: SC Labor, Licensing & Regulation Website (Click)
Current SC & Town Building Codes
(Information is deemed reliable but accuracy is not guaranteed*)
- 2012 International Residential Code
- 2012 International Building Code
- 2012 International Plumbing Code
- 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2012 International Mechanical Code
- 2011 National Electric Code
- 2009 Energy Conservation Code
Click Here: Current Building Codes (Link to SC LLR)\
Click Here: 2012 Code Modifications (from SC LLR website)
Hours for permit applications/inspection requests:
- Monday - Friday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Best time to reach the Building Official : 8:45 AM to 10:00 AM or 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM
- Permits are required for any repair or improvements to a residential or business property
Permits are also required for tree removal, trimming limbs over 6", driveways, walkways, fences, pools, docks, decks, gazebos, sheds, garages, etc.
Planting or improvements in the right of ways is prohibited. Before doing any planting or improving, verify your property lines. Any illegal improvements in the right of way are subject to removal by S.C.D.O.T and/or the Town of Sullivan's island. Rule of Thumb, If you don't know ask the building official.
SULLIVAN'S ISLAND IS IN A FLOOD ZONE.
- Sullivan's Island is a participant in the National Flood Insurance Program
- All homes that have a Mortgage are required to purchase flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program. Any questions concerning the flood program should be directed to the Building Official at (843) 883-3198. Any person (or any real-estate agent assisting a buyer or seller) purchasing a home or lot on Sullivan’s Island is strongly advised to first contact the Building Official before purchasing the property. Flood related information concerning that property might be beneficial. Example: If a previous property owner has received a building permit to improve the structure within a three year period you may not be able to do improvements that you envisioned when you purchased the property.